Friday, September 17, 2010

A Challenge for Your Students


Three Photos with Quotations    

         This week I'm presenting three photos, each of which is accompanied by a quotation. Click on any image to enlarge it. Each combination of a quotation and an an image is designed to inspire students to create some form of writing. I invite you to use these prompts to inspire your students to create poems or other forms of writing.
        You can easily download one or more of the images from this blog, but if you have problems doing so, please contact me at hankpix(at)yahoo(dot)com and I'll send them to you. Please cite "Photo Request" in the subject line of your e-mail, as well as the number that appears in the appropriate quotation.
        Although I'm primarily interested in discovering poems for my upcoming anthology, Reflections, I'd love to read any works your students create. When you send samples of student writing to me at the  address shown above, please cite "Student Writing" in the subject line of your e-mail.


Clouds, Sunset, Intolerance


44 Clouds  "You must not blame me if I talk to the clouds."  Henry David Thoreau



  

29 Sunset  "If your eyes are blinded with your worries, you cannot see the beauty of the sunset."            Jiddu Krishnamurti



  
27 Intolerance "I will permit no man to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate."                                                  Booker T. Washington




 
Write What You See

Write What You See by Hank Kellner (Cottonwood Press, 2009) is a collection of photographs and writing prompts for the classroom. Written by a successful photographer and former teacher of English, this book presents 99 black and white photographs accompanied by a wide variety or writing prompts to motivate students. The author gives his own suggestions for using photography and also shares ideas from real teachers across the country who have successfully used photography in the teaching of writing. Includes a CD-Rom. $24.95. Available from the publisher, at bookstores, and on the Internet.




  




  

No comments: